Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Cookies: Sugar Cookies


It may surprise you that with all the cookies I love to make at Christmas, I don't think I've EVER made a straight up sugar cookie!  How odd, right?  This year I signed on for cookie duty for Sarah's preschool Christmas party, so I figured a cut-out sugar cookie decorated with frosting and sprinkles would be the way to go.

I used Alton Brown's sugar cookie recipe (highly recommended by tons of people).  It was super simple to put together and the cookies came out perfect.  Every single one.



For the class party we went with Christmas trees.  I figured that giving each kid the same cookie would avoid any controversy over which shape might be a larger or smaller cookie.  With the extra dough, we split between trees and snowmen.

The two most popular frostings I've seen are either Royal Icing or a butter cream, and because I was sure Sarah would do better with a knife than a pastry bag, we went with butter cream.  I used the recipe found here.



She quickly wanted to switch to sprinkle duty so I schmeared the cookies and she sprinkled away.



Soon we had enough for the class, plus a few extras!

This time of year can be so crazy and busy and full of pressure and anxiety.  It was such a nice, quiet, relaxing way to have a little mom and Sarah time.




We topped the night off with a reading of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  A favorite!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...