Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know there are people out there that claim that the chocolate chip cookie is too common to be considered a Christmas cookie.  Christmas cookies should be *special* and spectacular.  While this is ok, I tend to hang onto the belief that Christmas cookies are whatever you enjoy, and because the CCC is one of my favorites, I always include some in my yearly holiday baking.

Over the years I've used a few different recipes including the one on the package of butter flavored Crisco but recently I've switched to butter and I've been using the traditional Nestle Toll House cookie recipe.  Unfortunately somewhere along the lines things have changed and the past 5-6 times I've made the recipe the cookies have come out quite flat.  I made them again last week with dark chocolate M&Ms and they were absolutely pancake-esque.  Displeased with the results I ventured onto the web to find out what might cause the problem and what my options were for fixing it.  I consulted various sources including forums of bakers and the advice varied from "add more flour" to "that's how they're supposed to be".

Then I stumbled across this fantastic pic on Pinterest.

 
The site it links to gives you information on how to diagnose your CCC issues.  It's great - check it out here.  Based on the picture, my cookie problem was definitely not enough flour so I decided to give them a go again.  Here's the recipe I went with - adapted from the Nestle Toll House recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies


  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups chocolate chips


In electric mixer with paddle attachment cream sugars and butter.  Add vanilla, milk, and eggs and blend well.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture slowly until well combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Use cookie/ice cream scoop to place cookies 2" apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Or you can just roll 1" balls, but the scoop will be easier.

Bake at 375* for 9-11 minutes - or until they appear done.  Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!

Check out the difference in the cookies!

Original Toll House cookie on the left, adapted recipe on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...