Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Icing on the Cookie

A few things to note:  Please excuse any typos in this post because the C button on the laptop is busted and I may not catch all the errors.

Tonight is the preschool open house.  It's sort of like a parent's night where the moms & dads walk around the classrooms and the kids get to show off their beautiful artwork.  They do artwork all year long, but there's a special emphasis leading up to Open House, complete with a classroom lock-down for the last 2 days so that everything is a surprise.

The other coolest part about Open House is cookies!  Parents are asked to contribute cookies, and being a baker, I like to do my own.  I decided on iced sugar cookies.  I love the Alton Brown sugar cookie recipe off the Food Network website.  But I didn't have a recipe for icing.

I found this one, which was going to be everything I wanted - a smooth, shiny finish and no egg whites.  I went ahead and mixed it up, but it was so thick, there was no way it would spread anywhere.

Here's my adaptation:

Sugar Cookie Icing

  • cups powdered sugar
  • 4+ teaspoons of milk
  • teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • food coloring

In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer (or stand mixer with whisk attachment) combine sugar, a few tablespoons of milk, add vanilla and corn syrup and keep mixing.  Keep adding milk, just a teaspoon at a time, while the mixer is going until you get the desired consistency.  Thicker for spreading, thinner for piping, etc.  Separate into small bowls and stir in desired coloring.  And you're ready to go!


I spread my frosting on with the back of a spoon.  I'm sure that piping on the frosting would look neater and more professional.  I used a little green sugar on the tops of the carrots.








And a little pink gel icing for the bunny faces.






They were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...