Classics (should be seen in black & white if available)
- It's a Wonderful Life - I cry every time. It's undeniably the bestest Christmas movie ever.
- Miracle on 35th Street - Natalie Wood is adorable in this one
- Christmas in Connecticut - This one is one of my mom's favorites
- A Christmas Story - You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! Sarah likes this one because she thinks Scut Farkus looks like my younger brother. She says "Why is Ralphie beating up Uncle Chris?"
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - This one has been around long enough that it might belong in the "classsics" category. If you haven't seen this, and you're over the age of 13 (lots of swearing), then you MUST watch it.
- Elf - I love this one. So funny and silly. Buddy the Elf's excitement when Santa's coming to town is awesome. Best snack while watching: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn & Syrup
- Scrooged - A modern take on the classic Christmas story.
- Home Alone - OK, this one is super cheesy, but family friendly. The good guys win, the "violence" is purely slapstick.
- Muppet Christmas Carol - A classic Christmas story, told by Gonzo and starring Kermit. Can you get better?
- A Charlie Brown Christmas - A classic family friendly story about the meaning of the holiday
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - A great depiction of the classic Dr. Seuss story
Tugging at the Heartstrings
- One Magic Christmas - I fell in love with this one when I was a kid and it's still so touching
- Family Man - I love this one for the scene with Nick Cage singing in his undies. Oh and it's pretty touching since I've got a family too :)
- The Family Stone - I saw this one for the first time last year and it's so touching
- Love Actually - This is one of those amazing movies. Romance, comedy, a little death and sadness at the beginning and a fantastic musical number at the end.
Christmas Action! Love a good shoot-'em-up movie with Christmas trees in the background!
- Lethal Weapon (one) - Mel Gibson rocking a classic 80s mullet.
- Die Hard (one) - Yippie Ki Yay, Monkey Fighter ** Plus Alan Rickman. LOVE IT.
Wow, what a list! I knew I had a lot, but it wasn't until i actually listed them out that I realize what a task it is to get through them all.
**Edited for the internet's younger readers