Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blanket for A Wee One

I enjoy knitting but a girl only needs so many blankets, socks, scarves, hats, shawls, etc. around her house.  And as I'm fully stocked with things like this (not that it really holds me back, but I digress...), I get super excited when I come up with a gift I can knit for someone else!  One of my nearest and dearest was nearing the due date for her baby!!

It gives me the opportunity to head to the knitting shop (with my mom) and peruse the myriad colors and textures of the yarn.  I like to imagine what an unlimited budget and loads of uninterrupted knitting time, but alas that is not my life so I stick to modest priced yarns and patterns that are quick especially since I needed to get the project done before the baby was born walking.  So I went with a lovely variegated yarn and improvised the pattern (not invented as I've seen this blanket before).  By doubling up the yarn and using fat needles (US13), the stitches were GINORMOUS (especially when compared to the socks I tend to knit) and the blanket knit up super quick!

The weight is thick enough without being heavy, and the size is big enough for good coverage even when it's folded over.

 Sadly blanket delivery was delayed due to my own kids colds (no need to spread germs to new arrivals), but now that everyone is healthy it was the perfect day for a quick visit with little miss S.  I was so glad to get it to her just as the weather is starting to cool off for the fall.

And now that this is done, I can refocus on knitting the Christmas stocking!

1 comment:

  1. She loooves her blanket! Thank you!! You can knit us stuff anytime if you feel the itch and don't have a need for more scarves/hats/etc in your family. :) And hey, I didn't know you had a blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...