Thursday, September 29, 2011

Birthday Excitement

Late September is always a time of great excitement around here.  It's the time when my big girl has her big day, and the very next day it's her dad's turn!  Yep 2 birthdays in 2 days.

Now for my daughter, since she's a kid, there's a great deal of anticipation. And there's a whole lot of "Is tomorrow my birthday?" type questions, so when the day arrives I try very hard to make things happy and fun for her, but since her birthday falls on a weekday and her parties (one with school friends and a nice lunch with family) are both over the weekend, the actual birthday DAY can be a bit of a letdown, I think.

One of the best parts of her day was getting to take in a special birthday snack to school.  And in the grand tradition of preschool snack restrictions, the school requests nutritious, nut and peanut free snacks.  And no cupcakes, and no brownies.  After a bit of thinking about what would actually be special we settled on Rice Crispy treats.  Not too special, but she likes them but instead of using just the RK cereal, I subbed in 2 cups of Fruity Pebbles.  OK, so I won't win any awards for brilliant recipe making, but she thought it was an AWESOME idea.  I wish I took a picture.  They're all gone now.

Next time I'll try Cocoa Krispies or perhaps some Apple Jacks.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally psyched to read that Rice Crispy treats are nutritious! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...