Monday, April 16, 2012

Getting my Mod Podge on!

Wow - it's had been a while since I Mod Podged something and I was itching to give it a go again!

This time around I was inspired by this pin on Pinterest, which links to a fun project over on Tatertots & Jello.  Basically it's a wipe container (you know those Clorox/Lysol wipes - great for kitchen/bathroom quick clean-ups) that has fabric or paper applied to the outside.  And what do you know, I just used my last wipe the other day and the empty container was sitting out in the recycling bin!!

Since the top of the container was yellow I looked for something yellow to use as the cover.  I chose an old favorite shirt of mine.  It's fun, it's gorgeous, but I bought it before my oldest child was born so it really doesn't need to be in my regular rotation anymore.

Step one is clean-up - I removed the label from the outside of the container and used some Goo Gone to get rid of any remaining stickiness.


Next up, trimming my fabric.  I admit that cutting up this shirt did give me a few pangs of sadness (I really liked this shirt), but it's ok.  I liked the detailing along the hem so I decided to keep the hem and make it the bottom edge of the container.

Next is applying the fabric.  Using old fashioned glossy finish Mod Podge, I painted on a good thick layer and carefully applied the fabric on top and then paint Mod Podge over the fabric, being careful not to create bubbles, wrinkles or shifting the fabric around too much.



I only did about a 2" wide strip at a time and letting it dry before continuing.



I continued all the way around until I got to the seam.  For the seam I trimmed excess fabric, turned the edge under and glued it in place with Mod Podge, then let the whole thing dry.  I put it upside down on top of a soda bottle.

I did a full coat of Mod Podge over the whole thing, let it dry, then did another coat and let it dry.  So that's probably 3 coats over the whole thing.  I could do more because I enjoy painting the stuff on.

After I was happy with it, I trimmed some excess fabric at the top.



And that's it!



I'm not sure what I'll use it for.  The original project suggests using it as a plastic bag dispenser (and includes directions for how to roll up the bags), but I keep thinking up other uses.  Storage for markers, trash receptacle for the car, small toy storage, etc.



What would you do with it??


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...