What is a Tooth Fairy Pillow? Well, it's a little pillow (size & shape vary depending on your taste) with a pocket on the front. Kid puts tooth in the pocket. Fairy takes tooth & deposits $$$ in the dark of night. It allows for the Fairy to do her work without disturbing a sleeping child. My mom made one for me when I was a kid and I thought it would be nice to make one for Sarah.
We went to the fabric store to pick something out, and after perusing stuff with sequins & lifelike horses plastered all over, I convinced her of a print of wands would be perfect. It is a Tooth FAIRY pillow, right? She's probably got a wand. So we picked up a yard of that plus a yard of coordinating pink fabric. And we picked up some fluff to fill it.
As always step one is to wash & dry & iron the fabric. I'll admit I don't always do this but my stuff usually turns out a bit better if I do.
I had a plan in my head of what it would look like, so I cut out 2 rectangles of the print. Roughly 8.5" x 11". Yep I used a piece of paper as a template. I cut a bit larger for seam allowances.
I cut out 4 strips of pink, about 4" wide. Two were trimmed to 24" and two were trimmed to 33". These are for the ruffle.
I also cut out a little 4" square of the print and a 4x5" rectangle of the pink. This is for the pocket.
Starting with the ruffle, I sewed the strips together to form a long loop. I did it like this 24" to a 33" to a 24" to a 33" and then close the loop. Being careful not to twist the fabric into a moebius loop. That just wouldn't work. I set the ruffle aside.
Moving over to the pocket I sewed the short side of the little pink rectangle to the right side of the printed little square. I set this aside.
I trucked up to the ironing board and did a little pressing. On the ruffle: I folded the loop/strip in half creating a skinny loop with the end-to-end seams on the inside. On the pocket: I flipped the pink fabric up over the print, putting the "right" side out and creating a bit of a cuff on the pocket and pressed it down. Then I pressed in the edges & bottom of the pocket to make it tidy since I'd be top-stitching it to the front of the pillow.
Back down to work. I pinned the pocket to the front of the pillow and sewed it in place.
The next step is tricky. I pinned down that huge loop onto the backside of the pillow. Right side up, unfinished edge of the ruffle out. I made sure that it didn't twist and that the loop seams were in the corners. It was kinda tricky to get the ruffle to be evenly spaced, but eventually I got it "good enough".
|I flipped it over to see how the ruffle looked - then I flipped it back over to make some adjustments before continuing.|
Note: if you are actually an accomplished or knowledgeable seamstress, you may know of a better/easier/correct way to do this, but I just kinda figured it out
Then I pinned the front of the pillow on top of there, right side down.
I then stitched this whole mess leaving an opening on one side.
Turning the nearly finished pillow right-side-out, I was relieved to see that it looked pretty much how I imagined it.
I added my fluff and hand-stitched the opening closed.
This is the first pillow I've ever made and it turned out ok. I think next time around I'll probably do a pillow & pillow case to make it look prettier (so no ugly hand-stitched seams are visible). The whole project took about 1-1.5 hours including the hand sewing.
And now we're all ready for the Tooth Fairy!