Saturday, September 24, 2011

Knowing When to Pull the Plug

Last Halloween the big girl had a definite opinion on what to be.  She's a Disney girl (much like her mom) and last year she chose Jessie from Toy Story 3.  It just so happens that it was the hot costume at the Disney Store and no amount of shopping around or phone calls could scrounge up a Jessie costume.  Lucky for me, Jessie's outfit was fairly easy to pull together with easy-to-find basics plus some snazzy and creative embellishments.

So this year's costume choice is Rapunzel from the Disney movie Tangled.  I decided to go the purchasing route again because it's easy and I was able to actually score a dress without too much difficulty - last one in her size (of course).  Unfortunately the dress was flawed, so it went back.  I figured maybe I should just make the dress. It would be fun and she'd get the dress she wanted.  So today I made my way to the store to acquire my supplies with coupons in hand.

I chose the sparkliest satins available, the shiniest pinks and purples.  Lace, ribbons, the works.  It rang up at a little over $123 before coupons.  Oh my word.  After coupons it was $77.  Yay for coupons, but it was still a heck of a lot more than I wanted to spend on a Halloween costume for a 5 year old, plus I hadn't even picked out thread, closures or eyelets.

Hemming and hawing all the way home, I called the store to ask about returns and they'll take it back!  HOORAY!  Talk about buyer's remorse.

Once I got home I hopped on the internets and ordered the dress from the disneystore.com.  It's $50, and worth every penny saved.

#1 Lesson learned:  take a calculator into the store with me and calculate material costs BEFORE purchasing.
#2 Lesson learned:  there's no shame in pulling the plug on a project that just doesn't make sense

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...