Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Midsummer Garden Update

Wow - I can't believe it's been nearly 2 months since we put in the garden!  A lot has happened back there in the last few weeks.  The lettuce we planted has been fully harvested and raked out to make room for some growing cucumber plants.


The watermelon plants have really been growing a lot in the last few weeks and today I finally found a few little melons on there!  They're so cute, the "big" one is about the size of a ping pong ball.


We've harvested a few zucchini and more are on the way.


Without the lettuces blocking out light, the cucumber plants have grown quite a bit and have flowers. 

And we have a ton of tomatoes.  I'll be looking for cherry tomato recipes in the next week or so because it's gonna get a little crazy around here.


In other yard news, our tropical rainforest (a few banana plants) is growing and sprouting leaves all over the place.


And one last sad update.  My herbs died :(  I think perhaps a window box drains too well, and I'm sure the blistering heat wasn't helping.  Next year I'll go with a more closed container, and maybe choose a location that is more in the shade.


How are your gardens doing?  Are you good about keeping after weeds?  Do you water nightly?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Blueberries? Well I got 3 blueberry bushes from a friend, one had a few berries on it. The other 2 didn't get any. Sadly, I didn't get to harvest the berries because the birds got them first! I think I'll get a net next year.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...